(BPT) - Comic-Con is here, the iconic international conference that celebrates all things comic books and pop culture. Located in San Diego, the conference has grown from its humble beginnings in 1970 to become the destination for all the latest and greatest entertainment news, fanfare and information. If you've never been to the convention, you can't let another year slip by and to provide you with a little extra motivation, here is a small sampling of the things that make Comic-Con great.
1. Its size. Comic-Con is attended by more than 100,000 attendees every single year making it the largest convention of its type in the United States. While the sheer size may seem daunting, the number of people that attend each year keeps the convention as the hot spot for celebrities and companies that want to show their latest and greatest to a large audience. If you're hoping to catch a glimpse of the stars, they'll be at Comic-Con.
2. Interact with the latest products and technology. Because Comic-Con is a convention, you have the opportunity to visit vendor booths and try their products yourself. For example, this year the popular game system Skylanders will be featuring the Skylanders SuperChargers Dark Edition at Comic-Con. This edition includes truly unique toys that any true 'Portal Master' will want in their collection. Starter packs include Dark Spitfire, Dark Hot Streak and the highly sought after Kaos Trophy that unlocks Kaos content. The game is available on most major consoles - each including exclusive characters - and you can stop by the Skylanders booth at the convention to try it out for yourself.
3. Big news announcements every day. Are you wondering what movie franchise will add its latest installment? Maybe you want to know if you're favorite comic book character will finally get the movie he or she deserves? Attend Comic-Con and you'll hear about it first. Major announcements take place every day at the conference to the delight of thousands of fans but you're only in the know if you go.
4. Don the mask. If you're favorite costume sits in the basement all year waiting for Halloween, Comic-Con is a great opportunity to get creative with your daily attire. At the convention, dressing up is not only OK, it's encouraged and attendees come in the thousands dressed as everything from superheroes and television stars to movie monsters and cartoon characters. Come dressed as your favorite pulp culture icon and you may just get a costume idea for next year.
5. Hit the dealer's alley. Comic-Con was born as a convention for collectors and it still remains one of the best places to go if you're looking for that hard to find addition to your collection. Most everyone has something to sell at Comic-Con and the monstrous dealer's alley brings thousands of collectors to one spot, giving you the best chance to find that hard-to-find item.
With so much to see and do it's not surprising that San Diego Comic-Con grows every single year, so plan your trip today. One visit to this blockbuster event will have you already preparing for the sequel before you even leave.