DETROIT, Aug. 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- DTE Energy customers taking advantage of the company's energy efficiency programs – such as LED lighting and ENERGY STAR® appliances – are seeing a significant return on their investment. For every $1 spent on energy programs, DTE's customers save more than an estimated $5 in avoided energy costs over the lifetime of the measure implemented. In 2016, residential and business customers saved nearly $600 million in energy bill savings across all programs.
The energy and cost savings, cited in DTE's 2016 Energy Optimization Report, are proof that customers using energy efficiency programs are able to control their energy consumption and save money on their monthly bills.
"We listen to our customers to gain insight into how and why they're using these programs, and what their experiences have been," said John Boladian, director of energy efficiency at DTE Energy. "Not only do our customers love saving money, they also take pride in reducing their energy waste and improving the environment."
Since 2009, on average, DTE electric and gas households has participated in at least one energy efficiency program and directly benefited from taking action. These customers have saved through many products, services and technologies designed to help manage their energy consumption, including the DTE Insight app. The app is used to monitor real-time home energy use, enabling consumers to live more efficiently through immediate behavior changes based on usage patterns. In 2016, more than 116,000 households downloaded the DTE Insight app, logging over 7,550,000 sessions.
Customers have also saved by:
- Taking advantage of DTE's free in-home and business energy consultations
- Purchasing discounted LED lights at local retailers
- Receiving rebates on high-efficiency heating and air conditioning equipment, and ENERGY STAR® appliances
More information on savings and programs are available in DTE's 2016 Energy Optimization Report at dteenergy.com/eoannualreport. DTE accomplishments highlighted in the report include:
- Completed more than 27,000 Home Energy Consultations in customers' homes to help them find ways to save energy
- Outfitted 18,000 apartment units with energy efficiency products including LED lightbulbs, pipe wraps and faucet aerators
- Recycled 31,000 appliances through the Appliance Recycling program
- Delivered 23,000 free energy efficiency kits to homeowners
- Educated more than 32,000 students and 1,600 teachers who participated in the Think! Energy Schools Program on energy efficiency
- Discounted more than 1.4 million high efficiency compact florescent bulbs (CFLs) and 2.4 million light-emitting diodes (LEDs) through incentives with retailers
- Supported 126,000 low-income customers with 188,000 ENERGY STAR® certified light bulbs
- Completed 1,650 Business Energy Consultations for small-to-medium size businesses
About DTE Energy
DTE Energy (NYSE: DTE) is a Detroit-based diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. Its operating units include an electric utility serving 2.2 million customers in Southeastern Michigan and a natural gas utility serving 1.3 million customers in Michigan. The DTE Energy portfolio includes non-utility energy businesses focused on power and industrial projects, natural gas pipelines, gathering and storage, and energy marketing and trading. As one of Michigan's leading corporate citizens, DTE Energy is a force for growth and prosperity in the 450 Michigan communities it serves in a variety of ways, including philanthropy, volunteerism and economic progress. Information about DTE Energy is available at dteenergy.com, twitter.com/dte_energy and facebook.com/dteenergy.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dte-energy-customers-save-5-for-every-1-spent-on-energy-efficiency-programs-300504507.html
SOURCE DTE Energy
© 2017 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.