(BPT) - From their loyal ways to their silly antics, pets bring so much joy to homes. While you wouldn't trade any of the cuddles and welcome-home slobbers, one thing most pet owners don't find quite as lovable is all the pet hair!
When you live with a furry friend, it's inevitable that there will be pet hair everywhere-hiding under tables, collecting in corners and clinging to clothes and furniture. Cleaning up after it all can be hard work-but the good news is that there are some ways to keep it under control. With a few simple steps, you can keep your home clean and free from pet hair (at least until that next shake).
1) Embrace your inner groomer. The best way to deal with pet hair in your home is to stop it even before it starts. Regularly grooming your pet will help control pet hair and shedding. Get into the habit of brushing your pet each day. Chances are, they'll enjoy the extra attention, and you'll be able to collect and dispose of their hair before it gets everywhere else. If your pet needs extra care, take them to a groomer every couple of months to really control the undercoat or longer hair.
2) Use a vacuum designed to pick up pet hair. After you've used a conventional vacuum that fails to pick up your dog or cat's hair a couple of times, it's probably safe to say that you've had enough. Get your hands on a vacuum built for the job, like the BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser® Lift-Off® Upright Pet Vacuum, which is engineered specifically for homes with pets. It combines the power of an upright vacuum with the cleaning convenience of a lightweight, portable canister, so you can clean tight corners, stairs and furniture easily. It also has a tangle-free brush roll, so you don't have to worry about hair wrapping around it. When you're done, you can empty the canister without touching the hair inside.
3) Strategically place throw rugs around the house. Carpet and rugs are a magnet for pet hair-so use them to your advantage! Place throw rugs in areas your cat or dog frequents and they can collect the lion's share of the shedding before the hair infiltrates every nook and cranny in the rest of your home. Then you can easily vacuum those rugs!
4) Give your pet a designated hang-out spot.While your favorite four-legged companion is hanging out around the house, offer them an extra comfy spot or two on the floor with large throw pillows or a pet bed so they have their own space. They'll end up spending much of their time in these cozy spots and it will help you out by making the area you need to clean smaller.
5) Washable slipcover. There's no reason to cut out couch cuddles with your fluffy friend. A washable slipcover for your furniture can work wonders to protect furniture from hair and messes. And, it doesn't have to be the unsightly plastic covers people used to have -contemporary slipcovers are made of soft cloth, are easy to remove and look great. Most you can even throw in your washing machine to easily to remove the hair. In between washings, using vacuum attachments will help keep your couch hair free.
After trying out these tricks, the only evidence that there's a pet in your home will be from the lovable, furry greeting they give you when you walk in the door!