Ford Offers Apple Siri(R) Eyes-Free to Millions of Vehicles Globally Through SYNC(R) Software Update
- Ford is offering a software update to more than 5 million SYNC-equipped vehicle owners – with vehicles dating all the way back to the 2011 model year – adding Apple Siri Eyes-Free capability for hands-free access to additional iPhone® features
- Ford’s unique global software platform approach with SYNC makes it easy to offer updates to customers, no matter where they live
- SYNC is the world’s leading entertainment and communications system with more than 12-million vehicles on the road and is recognized for being the first to widely and most affordably offer voice-activated technology to control smartphones
DEARBORN, Mich. / CRWEPRESSRELEASE / Dec. 3, 2015 – Ford today is releasing a new software update for more than 5 million SYNC-equipped vehicles dating back to the 2011 model year, adding more convenience for Apple iPhone users with Siri Eyes-Free capability.
“SYNC, Ford’s entertainment and communications system, was designed to be flexible and updatable, just like other mobile technologies, so our customers are able to get the most out of their smartphones while behind the wheel,” said Sherif Marakby, director, Ford Electronics and Electrical Systems Engineering. “Siri Eyes-Free is another great voice-activated feature that not only adds convenience but helps our customers keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.”
Siri Eyes-Free allows drivers to activate Siri with a long press of the voice recognition button on the steering wheel, similar activating Siri on an iPhone. Drivers can use just their voice to ask Siri for requests including:
* Making phone calls to contacts in their address book
* Looking up phone numbers for restaurants or other points of interest
* Setting a reminder or alarm
* Asking about the weather
* Select and play music
* Audibly send and receive text messages
* Getting directions through Apple Maps
For a demonstration of new Siri Eyes-Free capability for MyFord Touch, click here.
The new software update is available for vehicles equipped with the second generation of SYNC, known as MyFord Touch in North America, ranging from model years 2011 to 2016.
The simple, downloadable update will be available through http://owner.ford.com/.
SYNC’s capability and its ability to receive software updates plays a key role in the Ford connectivity strategy being accelerated through Ford Smart Mobility, which is the company’s plan to take connectivity, mobility, autonomous vehicles, the customer experience and data and analytics to the next level.
SYNC is the world’s leading entertainment and communications system with more than 12 million vehicles on the road worldwide.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 197,000 employees and 67 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.
Ford Motor Company
Alan Hall, 313-337-9618
Source: Ford Motor Company