The State Department alerts U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Kenya that general elections are scheduled for August 8, 2017.
Candidate selection for national and county offices will take place throughout the country in April, followed by nationwide campaigning. This Travel Alert expires on August 31, 2017.
Rallies, demonstrations, and protests may occur with little notice and even those intended to be peaceful can escalate into violence. As with all large events, there is also the opportunity for criminal elements or terrorists to target participants and visitors. You should avoid areas of gatherings, protests, and demonstrations, and exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of any such events.
- U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution and remain abreast of the security situation.
- Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
- Avoid crowds and remain alert when using public transportation.
- Report specific safety concerns to local law enforcement authorities.
- Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
- Restrictions on traffic circulation, either imposed by the authorities or caused by political rallies, could occur during the elections period. Please refer to our Security Message dated March 13, 2017 for tips on personal preparedness.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution , Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Kenya.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kenya located on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, at +254 (0) 20 363 6451 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +254 (0) 20 363 6170.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Source: Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. State Department