Remote Monitoring is a new technology, which allows the user to access and monitor a device from a distant or remote location. Sometimes, it is difficult to be available physically at some specific location, yet it is important to monitor and manage the device. Remote monitoring is the best solution for this type of problem. Now with new high speed transmitters, you can access your monitor from a distant location at a faster speed as compared to a standard phone line communication. You are only required to connect the CCTV equipment with the remote video transmitter and the transmitter gets connected with a DSL/CABLE modem, which has a static IP Address. Now, whenever you want to monitor the location, type the static IP address in the address bar of the web browser, and you will be able to instantly access the location from any part of the world.
Remote monitoring of machines requires intelligence for the transportation of data to a web-based application. For transferring the data from one location to another distant location, gateway is required along with the modem. Gateway is a remote monitoring device, which accepts the data from the remote machine and delivers it to the productivity monitoring software. This whole system is known as telemetry system. Telemetry system includes hardware, management software, and services, which automate the communication between machines. Telemetry system helps in monitoring and managing the device remotely with the help of Internet. It is an efficient method, which helps companies to reduce the cost and increase revenue.
The main components of telemetry system include:
- Serial Interface - the remote machine is attached to a serial port by AT-command set.
- Real Time Clock - Real Time Clock (RTC) is computer clock that monitors the time and schedule the logged events according to the time.
- Data logging - records the events in the gateways memory using the serial port commands
- Alarm processing - the component checks as and when any record is added and the report is provided on the alarm events.
- Scheduling - gateway does scheduling for local data logging and database communication.
- Database synchronization - synchronizes the data present on the machine with the database applications.
- Centrally configured - the remote monitoring device is configured centrally.
- Local status reporting - status report of the distant machine is found with the help of serial line command.
- Internet protocols - TCP/IP is a common internet protocol and is supported by remote monitoring device. TCP/IP protocol is used for communication between two machines.
- GSM/GPRS Interface - provides wireless modem interface to the GSM/GPRS network and other networks.
Remote monitoring helps a user to perform following things:
· Collection of data from the remote device with the help of gateway
· Central configuration
· Automated alarm notifications at the time of some problem
· Data synchronization with the back office
· Administration of machines from a distant location
Remote monitoring over the Internet allows the users to monitor and manage machines, contacts, and users without being present at the location, which saves traveling time, cost, and hassles of commuting. Remote monitoring is a boon for those, who have to manage a lot of things in very short time duration.