When the windshield of a car becomes damaged or cracked in some manner, it is wise to make plans for windscreen repair or replacement as soon as possible. While in certain situations, it is safe and adequate to repair auto glass, in some other cases; total replacement of auto glass is needed if damage to safety glass is severe. In the case of the latter, windscreen replacement cost becomes an important factor.
Keep in mind the following tips to guide you while seeking windscreen replacement:
- When replacement of windscreen is vital, ascertain the provisions of insurance coverage. It is likely that the policy will pay for the total expenses or cover the expense minus a fixed deductible. This will provide an idea about out of pocket expenses which one has to absorb.
- One may also find that one’s membership in an auto-club entitles one to a discount on windscreen replacement cost. One must check one’s benefits package to determine if this is the case.
- When one finds many automotive glass shops listed in one’s area of location, seek for quotes from each of them for the replacement job. This is particularly vital if one has to absorb a major part of the replacement costs out of one’s own pocket.
- Note that as a customer, one has the right to ask questions about the kind of safety glass used in windscreen replacement and also the adhesive used to hold the windscreen in place.
- In the ideal scenario, one will want the new windscreen of the vehicle to be of similar quality as the original one. For ensuring this, take note that the automotive windscreen replacement company opted for will use OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) components for the job of replacement.
- Highly professional and reputed auto-glass replacement companies will be more than willing to provide a warranty on the replaced auto windscreen at no extra cost.
- Make sure to read the fine print of the warranty on offer. In the ideal scenario, one will want a warranty to offer coverage nationwide, especially if one often indulges in long-distance travel frequently.
- One will also desire that the basic terms of the warranty will offer coverage for at least a year or two against leaks, cracks, or other issues that could arise due to faulty installation. In case, basic warranty is adequate, there is no need to seek an extended warranty.
- Prior to submitting one’s vehicle for professional windscreen replacement, ensure that one gains references for all the shops under consideration. Go for a reputed company to complete the job quickly, effectively, works with one’s insurance company, and offers a decent warranty for the work done. Taking such precautions will boost the chances of gaining a quality replacement of auto glass, which will hold up for several years.
Putting faith in professionals
The windscreen is not simply an ornamental component of the vehicle. It is a vital safety element; so, if it is chipped, one must get it repaired or replaced as needed, as soon as possible.
DIY solutions or home glass repair kits may seem tempting. But in reality, a DIY kit typically ends up aggravating the problem, making it a big guzzler of time and money. A DIY repair kit does not offer a permanent fix.
Additionally, by using DIY kits, one can cause chips to expand, which raises the risk of shattering glass while one is driving. The windscreen offers structural integrity to the car, and in case it is not repaired or replaced, it can turn into a tremendous safety hazard. This is why it is best to be handled by professionals.
Cost of replacement
Based on whether one has windscreen replacement insurance, expect to pay anything ranging from $250 to $1000 for the replacement of windscreen in Australia. But such costs can vary based on several factors. These include model, make and age of one’s car, type of glass selected, the extent of damage, who finishes the work, and the insurance coverage which one carries.
In sum, these are top facts about windscreen replacement, including windscreen replacement cost.