People don’t realise it but wearing socks comes naturally to the people. This single piece of clothing is the most versatile accessory; it can be worn for all types of occasions. Are you a player? An office going individual? Travelling? If you wear boots, shoes, sneakers, loafers- socks are the most essential item to wear. Different types of socks, from print, quality and fabric- it has now become a fashion statement. Not just fashion, it protects your feet from getting blisters, from gaudy smell to ensuring comfort when doing any physical-driven activity. Since socks have now become an integral part of the wardrobe, many are curious and usually ask, ‘how socks are made?’ to understand the manufacturing process of the socks, keep on reading:
Common socks material
There are many different types of socks worn by men, women and kids like novelty, business, circulation, comfort, sport, work socks etc. Seasonal-special socks are also available, like holiday-special socks, sealife socks, animal & pets socks, etc. You can also choose to buy socks online for more variety and quality like bamboo socks, cotton and wool. Some of the other popular materials that socks are made of include nylon, acrylic, fibre, wool, silk, cashmere, polyester, spandex, cotton, etc.
Socks manufacturing process
Usually mass produced socks are made by using industrial machines. Circular knitting being the most popular way of manufacturing, the machine knits the socks but first creates a series of loops to form a fabric tube. The pattern that ends up on your socks is first coded in the machine; this will be a bitmap design that has been pre-decided and fed into the machine to ensure the pattern is consistent and correct. The design can be modified as per the requirement as can the material that is used to make the socks. Once the sock tube is created by the machine the next process is to seal the seam. There are many ways of doing this and it varies depending on the sock companies in Australia.
Types of socks
There are many different types of socks; there are even several special stores online that are dedicated to socks and sell many different types of socks online.
- Socks have a practical use however they also have an aesthetic value and are used to make a fashion statement as well. The socks we wear to the office might not be fit to wear while having a workout in the gym or playing some sport.
- Kids tend to love socks with novelty designs as well. Irrespective of gender, anyone can buy socks for both, formal and casual events.
- The casual ones are fit for any occasion and available in various designs and patterns.
- Men's circulations socks are a popular choice for many and will be longer, rise above the calve and promote the circulation of the feet.
- These socks are ideal for those who have a medical condition that restricts blood flow to the feet and is often prescribed by doctors as well. Such socks are ideal for those who have diabetes and suffer from cold feet and leg cramps.
- Although these appear to be like normal socks they exert more pressure on the legs and also help massage them gently.
Some of the other types of socks include the sports socks that are specially designed for sports activity; bamboo socks which might feel strange to those who have never tried them on however, they are naturally anti-bacterial and help reduce odour as well. Many sock companies in Australia manufacture different types of socks that are novelty in nature to target young, millennial demographics.