‘Traffic controller’, is a popular job with many travellers and students in Australia.
- This is a job that involves directing traffic in the right manner especially in locations that are undergoing repairs and where there are road diversions in place.
- It is a job that requires one to instruct the traffic to either drive slowly, stop or wait in special traffic zones like near a construction site.
- It may also involve making use of a two-way radio system and wearing safety clothes as per the regulations.
- The main tasks of this job include controlling traffic in a professional manner and providing the traffic with the correct signs for smooth flow.
- The main aim of this job is to minimise traffic delays, reduce traffic risks and ensure proper control in case of an emergency.
- It also requires one to take up a traffic management course in Melbourne and a licences traffic controller to be eligible to perform this job.
Who is eligible as a traffic controller in Australia?
- Students tend to show interest in this type of job however, it is necessary for them to have a valid Traffic Controller's Photo Licence in order to do so.
- In order for one to be able to procure this type of licence, it is mandatory for one to have completed a one-day training course and registering oneself.
- This course will help one gain all the necessary technical skills and also the knowledge necessary to direct traffic in all types of situations.
- After taking up this course the student is provided with valid identification, is required to wear official clothing and shoes.
- The person should ideally have a driver's licence and a good command of the English language.
Best traffic controller courses
- Several training institutes offer this course which is referred to as the "Implement traffic management plan - RIIWHS302E".
- It teaches one the skills and knowledge necessary to monitor and direct traffic in the right manner.
- It may also include training in a live traffic environment and getting accustomed to all the possible traffic situations.
- Different states in Australia will have a different set of rules and licensing legislation, hence it is necessary one makes inquiries pertaining to this prior to taking up the course.
- This will typically be an 8-hour course that costs a course fee in the range of $200.
- The students will typically require a valid photo ID and a current driver's licence, proof of age and passport to quality to take up this course.
- They will also need to pass a language and numeracy test.
Some of the popular training institutes offering this course are as listed here:
- Positive Training Academy:Positive Training Academy offers several courses in the business sector besides this one on traffic management training in Melbourne. They are a highly resourceful institute with well-qualified instructors.
- Interlink Training - Professional Training Solutions: This is a privately owned training institute offering a wide range of courses including traffic management, horticulture, electrical services and more.
- TDT Training Australia:This is an institute that offers a wide range of courses pertaining to transport. They offer good training and professional assessment too.
- Victoria University:Victoria University has specially designed this course to help students gain knowledge on traffic management. It prepares one for a supervisory role and involves providing appropriate licensing and certification.