Stage 33 of Operation Car Wash, launched Tuesday (Aug. 2) by Federal Police, aims to clarify allegations over illegal donations made to former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva's reelection campaign in 2006 by QUIP consortium, a government contractor.
Ricardo Pessoa, owner of UTC Engenharia, one of the investigated contractors, told Judge Sérgio Moro last year that QUIP gave the campaign treasurer, José de Filippi Júnior, $734,000 in cash.
This Tuesday, crackdowns are mainly targeted at Queiroz Galvão construction company, which owns a controlling stake at QUIP. The consortium signed billionaire contracts with Petrobras to renovate and build oil drilling platforms including the P-53 and the P-55.
“We are still investigating to gather evidence,” said Federal Police Commissioner Renata da Silva Rodrigues. According to her, associates reported that QUIP was contacted in 2006 to donate to the campaign. “[QUIP] was asked to make campaign donations which were actually kickbacks for the P-53 platform,” she explained.
Former Queiroz Galvão executives Othon Zanoide and Idelfonso Colares were arrested under temporary detention warrants. QUIP executive Marco Pereira Reis was not arrested because he is traveling abroad.
Translated by Mayra Borges
Fonte: Agência Brasil.