July 08, 2016
Ten Banks Hit in One Year
The FBI and local law enforcement agencies are seeking the public’s assistance to identify a local serial bank robber. In support of this effort, a reward up to $20,000 is being offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the robber dubbed the Hipster Bandit.
The Hipster Bandit is believed to be responsible for 10 bank robberies (eight completed robberies and two attempted robberies). Of the 10 robberies, eight robberies occurred in San Diego County. The first robbery occurred on July 2, 2015. The latest robbery occurred one year later, on Saturday, July 2, 2016, with the robbery of the Wells Fargo Bank, located at 6951 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, California.
The Hipster Bandit has targeted bank branches located inside of grocery stores and generally uses a demand note. In some instances, the Hipster Bandit has been observed walking the perimeter of the grocery store before approaching the teller station. Generally, the Hipster Bandit waits in line until he is called by the next available teller, greets the teller, and holds up a demand note indicating “this is a robbery” while demanding specific denominations of money.
The Hipster Bandit is believed to have used a motorcycle and a blue sport utility vehicle (SUV) as getaway vehicles following the robberies. For example, on July 2, 2015, the Hipster Bandit is believed to be responsible for robbing the U.S. Bank, located at 8920 Fletcher Parkway, La Mesa, California. After using a demand note to rob this bank, witnesses reported the robber fled the scene in a blue SUV. One year later, on Saturday, July 2, 2016, the Hipster Bandit is believed to be responsible for robbing the Wells Fargo Bank, located at 6951 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, California. After robbing this bank, he fled the scene on a newer, black motorcycle with black hard-case saddlebags. The motorcycle is possibly a Harley Davidson or Triumph motorcycle.
Below is a summary of the banks believed to have been robbed by the Hipster Bandit:
- 07/02/15: U.S. Bank - 8920 Fletcher Parkway, La Mesa, California
- 09/25/15: U.S. Bank - 1133 S. Mission Road, Fallbrook, California
- 11/02/15: Wells Fargo Bank - 10675 Scripps Poway Parkway, San Diego, California
- 01/09/16: Wells Fargo Bank - 4725 Clairemont Drive, San Diego, California
- 02/09/16: Wells Fargo Bank - 2560 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, California
- 04/01/16: U.S. Bank - 29530 Rancho California Road, Temecula, California
- 05/18/16: Wells Fargo Bank - 845 College Blvd., Oceanside, California
- 05/18/16: Union Bank - 101 Old Grove Road, Oceanside, California
- 07/02/16: Wells Fargo Bank - 26022 Marguerite Pkwy, Mission Viejo, California
- 07/02/16: Wells Fargo Bank - 6951 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, California
Witnesses have described the Hipster Bandit as follows:
- Sex: Male
- Race: White
- Complexion: Fair skin with freckles
- Age: Late 20s - early 30s
- Height: Approximately 5’3” – 5’5”
- Weight: Approximately 110-140 lbs
- Build: Slight, thin
- Hair: Brown
- Tattoos: Located on left upper arm (No further information)
- Miscellaneous: Possible Australian or New Zealand accent; protruding ears
- Vehicles: Blue SUV; Black motorcycle with black hard case saddlebags
Anyone with information concerning the Hipster Bandit is asked to call the FBI at telephone number 858-320-1800 or Crime Stoppers at 1-888-580-8477.
FBI San Diego
This content has been reproduced from its original source.