The IELTS reading section is considered to be the trickiest among the four. All the students who wish to get an exemplary band score need to be more attentive in the reading part. With the selection of the best IELTS coaching, a student can prepare well and gain training, but unknowingly, the complication of the reading section can cost them a lot of scores.
However, there is nothing that cannot be improved with practice. To help the students get through this section, we have shared some mistakes that need to be avoided. Without further ado, let us focus on the pointers:
- Read the given instructions carefully:The IELTS exam tests your vocabulary and rephrasing capability. Therefore, the instructions are crucial and should be followed correctly. It is paramount to follow the word limit. If they are asking you to write 300 words, do not increase it, and give them an opportunity to penalize you. Along with this, also make sure to not write yes/no instead of true/false; choose 1 answer instead of 2; and write “the temple” instead of “temple”. Follow instructions properly, as they might bring a great difference.
- Do not use the question booklet in place of the answer sheet:There is no extra time to transfer your answers in the answer sheet. So it is critical to follow this instruction as the examiner will not consider otherwise. Manage your time and choose your answers within 60 minutes.
- Do not read each and every word:The IELTS test is time-constrained; it is advised to read the passage and get an insight into it as quickly as possible. The reading test contains three passages with 700 words, each with 13 to 14 questions per passage. Plan to give answers to 40 questions in 60 minutes. Learn techniques to scan the passage and avail its benefits in a limited time.
- Let go of unknown vocabulary:There would be words that you will be unaware of. However, don't waste your time on them; rather read the sentence to get an idea about the meaning. Getting trapped with these troublesome words is one of the common mistakes the students make. You can also search if the word is already defined in the passage.
- Incorrect grammar:Sometimes, obvious mistakes are inevitable. Do not get in the trap! In the IELTS examination, they will intentionally put you in situations where you can use the wrong form of tense. Avoid the mistake and move on to the next answer. Only you can eliminate your mistakes, establish coherence, and match your answers with correct spelling, tense, and grammar.
- Implement the elimination method:All the IELTS coaching institutes will surely train you about the importance of the time factor. The technique is to eliminate all wrong answers and go for the correct ones instead. The test makers will try to disorient you with puzzling questions. Ignore the tricky questions and move ahead!
- Time management: “Time isn’t the main thing, it is the only thing.” And it is, therefore, a top priority in the IELTS reading test. You get limited time in the examination, avoid wasting it. Strengthen your vocabulary by learning 10 words a day.
- Never ignore the order of questions:Other than the matching exercise and comprehension passages, avoid losing the order of questions. Follow the sequence shift from 6th to 7th (question) and so on. Strictly study the type of questions you will face in the final test.
- Keep the main idea in mind:Without practice, even the skimming and scanning strategy can also go wrong. So train your brain under the time reading process, so that it can scan the reading passage correctly and perceive the main purpose simultaneously.
- Use common sense:Do not be irrational. You might not have an interesting and factual answer every time. All answers lie in the IELTS test. If you cannot look for one, maybe the phrases are paraphrased, or you are looking in the wrong area (of the paragraph). In this case, guess the answers wisely.
Now you have understood some of the most common mistakes that students make even after getting trained from thebest IELTS coaching institute. Remember, the difference between 8, 8.5, 7, or 7.5 can be these silly judgments. Practice these tips, include them in your training strategy, and improve your band score. Also, maintain your calm and do not panic! All the best.
Author Bio: NK Dhamija is an educational consultant having 10+ years of experience in the education field. He likes writing and guide students with his writing skills to clear their exams & live their dream of studying abroad