If the water in your locality is hard, laden with salts there are higher chances of you having flaky, dry and patchy skin. Hard water not only damages your internal body organs, impact gut health but also damages your skin too. Skin damage due to hard water can easily be treated by treating the contaminated water using a water purifier.
What is Hard Water?
Water with higher levels of mineral content is called hard water. Hard water is common in cities and towns where the groundwater table is contaminated. In few areas since the soil profile has rocks alike limestone, gypsum etc., or are located near manufacturing units water has a higher concentration of salts and other minerals. Though it is natural to have some minerals in groundwater, the concentration should not cross the safe limit. A few minerals in water is good for health also.
But many places have salt-concentrated water. This makes the hard water, which is unfit for drinking. Hard water can damage metals in pipes, sinks, bathtubs and cause calcium and magnesium salt to deposit on them. Hard water can damage skin and hair.
How does Hard Water Damage Skin?
Before answering, how it damages let’s take a look at how to identify if your skin is damaged due to hard water. If you have flaky, dry and itchy skin all around the year it is due to water (exceptions being- skin diseases). Our skin naturally has some moisture always and it should not feel itchy and dry all around the year. Drying of skin during winters or while seasons are changing is common. But if the dryness sustains the entire year, you must get the water tested.
- Hard water has a lot of unwanted minerals and if this water is used for bathing and other facilities can damage the skin. It rips off moisture from the skin and the minerals get deposited in the pores of your skin. This will cause irritability and result in rashes, itching and sometimes break out in the skin.
- The calcium and magnesium salt in hard water reacts with soap and form scum. This scum is very difficult to wash off from the skin. Usually, it gets stuck to the skin and strips off moisture from the skin.
- Hard water results in the build-up of salts on the skin. Soapy scum and salt buildup can cause serious skin issues like an acne breakout. And to add up to the problem every time you wash your face and take a bath more and more salts and minerals will only aggravate the problem.
- People with sensitive skin may face serious issues like- psoriasis, or eczema, and hard water will only make the condition worse. In long term, it can aggravate the issue to reach deeper layers of skin and can cause skin cancer.
- Long term harmful effect of hard water is the breaking of collagen of the skin. Hard water has minerals like calcium. Magnesium, iron etc. are free radicals and will break down the collagen. Once collagen is broken it will fasten aging cause wrinkles
Some, other reasons for skin damage due to water.
- Always using hot water- Long hot shower after a working day is bliss. But, it is not the same case for your skin. Excessive heat is unbearable for the skin, it affects the elasticity of the skin and thereby loss of moisture. Using hot water can make skin scaly and cause breakouts.
- Dehydration- The secret of healthy and supple skin is moisture. If you are not drinking enough water your skin will show the consequences. It will be flaky and itchy. You might get skin ailments too like pimples, acne and breakout.
What are the other signs of Hard Water supply at your home?
Besides skin damage, there are other signs you can observe that screams to you about using hard water. Some of these signs are:-
- Dry flaky scalp
- Dry frizzy hair
- Loss of natural lustre from hair
- Deteriorating gut health
- Stomach ache in kids
- Roughness in clothes
- White deposition on tiles of the bathroom, around tap, faucets and sink’s outlet
- If you cook with the same water, rice may look yellow after cooking and the taste of curries and veggies may alter.
How to restore your skin health damaged from Hard water?
Firstly, to restore your skin health you must change the water. You can do this by using a water filter at home which is good for hard water. Use filtered water for all the chores and bathing.
Drink lots of water and eat green vegetables. Consume enough liquid diet in form of juice, coconut water etc. Skin damage might be external but internal hydration is key to restoring skin health.
Use ample amount of moisturizer. A good hydrating and restorative is best for skin that is dry and itchy. Use a moisturize that is gentle and has no to zero chemicals. Use home remedies like Aloe-Vera, honey and milk for a soothing face pack.
With all the in a few months, your skin will regain its luster to look healthy and supple again.
Treat Hard Water with Zerobe
Hard water can easily be avoided by using a good competent water purifier. ZeroB water purifiers are developed with advanced technology to purify water. ZeroB Auto Soft water purifier is the best home water purifying solution for hard water. There are water softeners by ZeroB built exclusively for home and bathroom. They effectively filter out the minerals from hard water and give soft water which safe for bathing and all other facilities.
ZeroB is the flagship company of Ion exchange in India committed to provide high-tech water purification solutions to everyone in India. We provide commercial as well as home water solutions. Advanced technology water purifiers RO, Uv purifiers, water softener, iron remover are some of the solutions provided by ZeroB.
To know more visit at: https://www.zerobonline.com