Emergency action plan is nothing but a document that tells the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) so that they know what you would be doing in the time of emergency.
They are made in an attempt to make every person understand their role in the emergency action plan so that when needed it can be executed perfectly.
When no plan like such is documented it becomes difficult to mitigate adverse times and makes everything disorganised. All the chaos can then lead to some injury, confusion in staff and property damage as well.
So, whether you are a security service provider or someone who is looking to deploy security services, this blog is for you.
Emergency Action Plan Checklist
Written below are some questions that one must consider while setting an emergency plan in place. You can document this checklist for your reference later. You and your company should be able to access and get trained on what to do in an emergency situation.
Nte: For this to succeed , help apart from security service might also be required depending on the emergency like man made or natural.
Some of them are mentioned below:
Tornado or hurricane
Violence at place of work
Release of toxic substances
These are just a few examples, you must think of more that might happen as per your industry type or place of work. This is called hazard assessment and it is very important to conduct this to build a solid foundation and ensure success of the emergency action plan.
Other things that you can keep a list handy of, are-
1. Keep a list of contacts, hospitals and other key people who could be of great help during turbulence
2.Consider internal and external both kind of emergencies
3. Keep details of every person’s family handy
4. Keep list of key people responsible in the security service or otherwise responsible to navigate through the emergency with their contact information, title and department or gate they are posted at in case of security guards
5. Make sure you know who in the security service or otherwise would be responsible for rescue operations. For instance- is the fire department trained on rescue plan?
6. Are you sure on how you would be providing medical assistance to the staff. Please keep a medical program handy. It is best to keep number of medical facility nearby with you at all times
7. For the first aid kits you have kept, you might want to consider with a physician about what is missing in it.
8. The security service people can also be trained on using the first aid kit effectively. So, that in case of accident or injury, the person is helped out in the first five minutes
9. It is necessary to ensure that the evacuation plan is known to all the employees so that they know the exact thing they need to do when exiting during the earthquake, chemical skill, or fire situation.
10. Make sure you have designated a person to command complete shutdown. We suggest you give this responsibility to someone who is most diligent in the security service team.
11. You should also have different action plans defined for employees based on the kind of emergency. Depending on what the emergency is, different people in the company should have different courses of action defined for them. All these should also be jotted down, discussed and practiced.
12. There should be a chart with diagram to show a clear evacuation plan.Also, there should be multiple emergency exits
13. Then after this, the last step is surely to work on training about the emergency action plan to security service people and employees for sure. In case an employee leaves the organisation after the training, you must reassign the action plan roles to the new person in the organisation or the new replacement
Here are somethings that you EAP plan must cover-
1. Procedure explanation for each emergency
2. Exit location and equipments
3. Procedure of evacuation
4. Role and responsibility of each individual including the security service personnel
5. The shutdown announcement and person responsible
6. Point of contact for different emergencies
Lastly, when all this gets sorted, we advise you to practice the action plan every quarter with everyone and even more frequently with security service personnel.