Clinical Oncology NGS Market Growth & Trends
The global clinical oncology next generation sequencing market size is expected to reach USD 892.61 million by 2028 registering a CAGR of 14.70%, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Technological advancements in next-generation sequencing coupled with high adoption of companion diagnostics and personalized medicine drive the global market growth.
In addition, a rise in the utility of next generation sequencing (NGS) for liquid biopsy is expected to increase revenue generation in the market. NGS is employed to sequence circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) for the analysis of liquid biopsy samples. This leads to efficient molecular profiling of tumors, which, in turn, facilitates real-time, non-invasive monitoring of tumors.
Moreover, a rise in market competitiveness, growth in oncology diagnostics spending, and increasing research activities to develop solutions that can potentially be used for clinical oncology drive market progression. For instance, in January 2021, Spectrum Solutions, LLC collaborated with the UCLA School of Dentistry on saliva-based NGS liquid biopsy research, which would be used for early diagnosis of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC).
North America dominated the global market in 2020 owing to multiple initiatives taken by various government bodies in the region to screen and prevent cancer, such as Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network, a flagship program by the CDC. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest-growing regional market over the forecast period owing to continuous reforms in the pharmaceutical and life sciences industries in the region.
Key players in this market have undertaken strategic alliances to strengthen their market position. For example, in March 2020, Thermo Fisher Scientific signed an agreement with Janssen Biotech, Inc. for the development of CDx for tumor management. Under the agreement, Janssen Research & Development, LLC would validate multiple biomarkers to be used with Thermo Fisher's Oncomine Dx target test for identification of patients with NSCLC
Request a free sample copy or view report summary: Clinical Oncology NGS Market Report
Clinical Oncology NGS Market Report Highlights
- Targeted sequencing & resequencing accounted for the largest market share in 2020 owing to the high adoption of targeted gene panels for oncology diagnostics
- Moreover, the discovery of novel cancer biomarkers further boosts the development of targeted sequencing oncology panels
- Whole-Genome Sequencing (WGS) is projected to register the fastest growth rate from 2021 to 2028 as the technology offers a complete genomic survey of the tumor genome
- This helps in the generation of a detailed map of indels, copy number changes, Single Nucleotide Variations (SNV), and complex structural rearrangements with a single assay
- Companion diagnostics is projected to be the fastest-growing application segment from 2021 to 2028 owing to the high adoption and benefits offered by the technology
- Therefore, major market participants focus on innovative R&D in companion diagnostics to gain approval for novel tests
- For instance, in August 2020, the FDA approved Guardant360 CDx assay; an NGS-based liquid biopsy CDx to identify Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) gene mutations in metastatic NSCLC
Clinical Oncology NGS Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global clinical oncology next generation sequencing market on the basis of technology, workflow, application, end-use, and region:
Clinical Oncology NGS Technology Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- Whole Genome Sequencing
- Whole Exome Sequencing
- Targeted Sequencing & Resequencing Centrifuges
Clinical Oncology NGS Workflow Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- Data Analysis
Clinical Oncology NGS Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- Sporadic Cancer
- Inherited Cancer
- Companion Diagnostics
- Other Diagnostics
Clinical Oncology NGS End-use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
Clinical Oncology NGS Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa (MEA)
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
List of Key Players of Clinical Oncology NGS Market
- Illumina, Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Agilent Technologies
- Myriad Genetics
- Beijing Genomics Institute (BGI)
- Perkin Elmer
- Foundation Medicine
- Pacific Bioscience
- Oxford Nanopore Technologies Ltd.
- Paradigm Diagnostics
- Caris Life Sciences
- Partek, Inc.
- Eurofins Scientific S.E.
- Qiagen N.V.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.