(BPT) - As American baby boomers begin to exit their careers and opt for more leisurely lifestyles, some 10,000 are expected to retire every day through 2029.
While many are scaling back their incomes in retirement, however, most have no intention of becoming out-of-touch with modern trends and innovations. Fortunately, keeping up-to-date and attuned to fashion doesn't have to cost big bucks.
'We boomers have every bit as much to offer as the millennials or the Gen-X's or the Gen-Y's,' writes Forrest Brakeman in the Huffington Post. 'Hell, we invented the world as they know it. But to bridge the generation gap, or chasm, we need to stay relevant.'
The following suggestions can help you stay current as you age, even when you're dealing with a conservative budget.
* Shop secondhand. If you've never shopped in thrift and consignment stores, you may be surprised at the up-to-date clothes, shoes and accessories that are often available at very attractive price points. Enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the possibility of scoring big on recently released goods, some with the tags still attached. And forget about any stigma; you'll be shopping among people of all ages, from all walks of life.
* Consider vision insurance. Now that eyewear is such a fashion statement, eyeglass styles tend to change fairly frequently. Fortunately, when investing in the comprehensive coverage offered by VSP Individual Vision Plans, you can regularly replace your glasses without dating yourself by wearing outdated frames. Regular eye exams are also covered at prices well below walk-in rates; the average VSP customer saves more than $200 annually on eye care expenses. And VSP offers the largest network of independent eye doctors in the nation.
* Scout out daily deals. Online coupon sources such as Groupon and LivingSocial frequently offer excellent bargains on personal services such as haircuts, manicures, pedicures, massages and skin treatments so you can look relaxed and well-groomed - without breaking the bank.
* Rent for special occasions. These days, many high-end luxury products are available for short-term rental. Instead of paying full price for glamorous formalwear, jewelry or upscale sports cars, rent them out to enjoy to the max when you have a special event to attend - or when you simply want to treat yourself.
* Buy online. If you're not already well-versed in online shopping, now is a good time to learn the ropes. Resist paying full retail in stores until you check sites like Amazon, Etsy, eBay or Overstock to see if you can find your merchandise of choice at lower prices. Often, it's ridiculously inexpensive (or free) to have such goods delivered straight to your doorstep, or to the doorstep of a loved one. You can also use tools like PriceGrabber to compare online prices on your behalf, then peruse the additional retailer coupons frequently available on sites such as RetailMeNot or Coupons.com.
In short, there's no need to deny your sense of fashion just because you're entering the so-called golden years. Form your strategy now for finding the best deals on the trending fashion that keeps life fun - and keeps you from falling into a style rut.