ATLANTA, June 21, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Although today marks the first official day of summer, high summer temperatures arrived in Georgia weeks ago. Georgia Power encourages customers to follow simple steps and utilize free tools and resources from the company to minimize the impact of summer heat on their bills.
Simple ways to save money and energy this summer include:
- Have Your HVAC Serviced – Nearly 20 percent of your monthly energy use may be attributed to cooling your home in the summer. Inefficient heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems can also amount to hundreds of dollars in additional energy costs every year. Georgia Power customers are eligible for a rebate of up to $50 per unit this summer simply for having their HVAC system serviced by an approved program contractor. Learn more at GeorgiaPower.com/ResidentialHVAC.
- Think Thermostat – Set manual thermostats to 78 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer for peak efficiency and make the most of programmable thermostats, which automatically adjust your home's temperature settings when you're away or sleeping – a benefit that can save you up to $100 a year.
- Use Your Fans – A ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting by as much as 4 degrees Fahrenheit with no reduction in comfort. During moderately hot weather, ceiling fans may allow you to avoid using your air conditioner altogether.
- Air Vents – To maintain consistent temperatures throughout your home, keep air vents and registers clear of obstructions such as furniture, curtains and rugs.
- Pool Planning – Pool pumps can use a significant amount of energy when running constantly. Operate pool pumps the minimum number of hours needed to keep the pool clean and invest in a timer to control hours of operation. Also, consider using a pool cover for additional energy savings.
Saving Made Easy
Georgia Power encourages customers to find even more ways to save by accessing energy saving tools and resources online at GeorgiaPower.com/Save, including hundreds of easy energy tips, a free online energy checkup and a variety of rebates and incentives for both homes and businesses. The company also offers customers a single, convenient online portal featuring the most popular energy saving and smart home products, such as LED lighting and smart thermostats, at GeorgiaPowerMarketplace.com.
Georgia Power's My Power Usage program, a free service connected to Georgia Power online accounts, allows customers to track their daily energy use online, project their monthly bill and stay within a set energy budget. Finally, step-by-step instructions for the do-it-yourselfer are easy to find on Georgia Power's YouTube Channel.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/georgia-power-highlights-simple-energy-tips-on-the-first-day-of-summer-300670287.html
SOURCE Georgia Power