Five Ways to Protect Your Home This Summer
ERIE, Pa., June 26, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Justice Department reports that burglaries spike 11% in the summer. It's easy to see why. It's not unusual for items like bikes to be left out in the open, making it easy to grab and dash. Erie Insurance offers these small steps to protect your home that can make a big difference.
- Lock your doors and windows. Open doors and windows are one of the most common ways a criminal can enter your home. Be sure to keep them closed and locked, even if you don't plan to be gone for long. Upgrading your locks and adding a deadbolt can provide extra protection from potential break-ins.
- Scout the outside of your home for weaknesses. Take a walk around the perimeter of your house and look at it through the eyes of a burglar. If you can tell that a window or door can easily be pried open, a thief may see the same opportunity.
- Install motion sensor lighting around entrances. Adding extra lighting with motion detectors could deter a criminal before they even make it to the house. Install these at entrances and especially dark corners of your home.
- Secure valuables in a safe or lockbox. Lock up all valuables and documents in a home safe or lockbox. If it is not mounted, consider bolting it to the floor so that a burglar can't take it with them. Don't leave the safe out in plain sight, accessible to an intruder. Only give the passcode to someone you trust in an emergency.
- Hook up lights to timers. In the summer we take advantage of the extended daylight and stay out later than usual. Installing timers to your indoor lights will always make it look like someone is home. Take it one step further and set an alarm for your radio to let the music play while you are away.
While there are many ways to protect your home, nothing is foolproof. Make sure you have the right homeowners insurance and keep a close eye on things during the warm-weather months. Contact a local Erie Insurance agent to learn more.
About Erie Insurance
According to A.M. Best Company, Erie Insurance Group, based in Erie, Pennsylvania, is the 10th largest homeowners insurer and 11th largest automobile insurer in the United States based on direct premiums written and the 16th largest property/casualty insurer in the United States based on total lines net premium written. The Group, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company, has more than 5 million policies in force and operates in 12 states and the District of Columbia. Erie Insurance Group is a FORTUNE 500 company.
News releases and more information about Erie Insurance Group are available at www.erieinsurance.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/five-ways-to-protect-your-home-this-summer-300672790.html
SOURCE Erie Insurance
Company Codes: NASDAQ-NMS:ERIE
© 2018 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.