Water features and small ponds give a surreal look to the garden. However, it is crucial to look after these features to maintain the best shape and working of such decorative elements. One can add water features with a fish pond to add the beauty to the overall look- the question arises, ‘how to take care of the fishes?’ you’re on the right page.
With some brief education and easy tips, you can efficiently maintain your pond and fishes to admire them for a long time.
Consider these points to keep the best health of your fishes as well as your water feature pond.
Add plants and green elements.
Adding plants and green elements to your water feature or a pond will give a lush look that reminds of a real pond surrounded by nature. Choose plants and green elements that suit best with the water feature.
It is also essential to know when to stop. Add a sufficient amount of plants that do not overcrowd the water feature. Also, do not miss to choose the right plants for your water feature.
Consider adding these plants to your water feature or pond.
- Creeping Jenny Pond Plants.
- Pickerel Pond Plants
- Horsetail Pond Plant
- Taro Pond Plants
- Cardinal Flower
- Water Lettuce
- Mosaic Plant
- Blue Iris
To protect your fishes from direct sunlight, make an important note to add floating plants. These floating plants will give shade to your fishes and will make your pond look pretty as well.
Feed your fish the right food
Proper nutrition is important for every organism. Hence, giving your fishes the proper nutrition and the right feed in justified amounts will save you from any disappointment. Most people overfeed their fish with the desire to keep them healthy. However, fishes can even survive with a minimum amount of food. The excess food accelerates the formation of algae and debris in the pond, which in turn is harmful to your fish health.
Learn the correct way to feed your fishes
- The correct way to feed pond fishes is once a week. Feeding them once a week is sufficient to meet their nutrient requirements.
- Fishes require more protein during summers. Hence, look for feeds that are high in protein and contain oilseed meal, cottonseed meal, soybean meal, canola meal.
- During winters, looks for energy-dense feeds that contain corn gluten feed, corn germ meal, wheat middling, and rice bran.
Did you know? Some fishes feed on the debris, insects, and algae brimming in your pond, thereby cleaning it efficiently.
Cleaning is the key!
There are many aspects involved to have a squeaky clean pond or water feature. Keeping the water clean is one of many. To keep the water clean and hygienic is beneficial for the fishes as well as the surrounding. Cleaning the entire pond or water feature is one big ordeal. Hence, to avoid such a hassle every time, use a proper water filtration system. Using the right water filter will extend the cleaning cycles and keep the water clean for a long time.
Consider these important points with regards to water cleaning.
- Make sure to scrub off debris from the base of the water feature or pond to avoid algae buildup.
- Change the water frequently after cleaning the water feature and pond.
- Add the necessary nutrients and chemicals after consulting the experts. Some chemicals can be harmful to the fishes if added haphazardly. Hence, always consult an expert before doing so.
These are some points that will surely help you with your garden water features and pond. If you are looking for experts in water features in Sydney, Anything Wet is the best option. They help you with pond water features and its every aspect.