Trail Running Shoes Market Growth & Trends
The global trail running shoes market size is expected to reach USD 8.9 billion by 2025, registering a 5.9% CAGR over the forecast period, according to a new report published by Grand View Research, Inc. Increasing participation in trail running events is anticipated to drive the product demand. The rising popularity of outdoor activities is supporting the product demand. As per the Physical Activity Council, the participation rate in outdoor activities increased from 53.9% in 2013 to 59.2% in 2018. The boom in marathon running is also projected to drive market growth.
The demand for trail running shoes is majorly driven by the growing number of female participants. The female participation in running increased from 22% in 2014 to 34% in 2017. The growing popularity of trail running events, such as Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc (UTMB), is also supporting the market growth. The demand for entry in this event witnessed a 68% rise from 2016 to 2019. In 2019, the event received 26,000 applications from 10,000 places. There are around 4,300 races certified and recognized by the International Trail Running Association (ITRA), with around 10,000 events taking place worldwide.
A high number of professional ultra-trail running participants is also a major factor driving the growth of the trail running shoes market. Ultra-trail running witnessed a 14% year-on-year growth over the past 25 years. The participants in this group are the core consumers of trail running shoes. High adoption among these consumers in order to maintain a grip over dirt, mud, gravel, roots, and rock slabs, along with protecting the feet from injuries, is expected to bode well for the overall market growth.
Asia Pacific registered the fastest CAGR in 2018 and is anticipated to continue leading over the forecasted period. The growth is majorly driven by the demand for trail running shoes from China. North America was the largest market in 2018. As per the American Trail Running Association, 83% of runners wore trail-specific shoes when training on the trails in 2019, compared to 78% in 2018.
Request a free sample copy or view report summary: Trail Running Shoes Market Report
Trail Running Shoes Market Report Highlights
- By type, light trail running shoes emerged as the largest and fastest-growing segment in 2018, owing to preference by newcomers due to the high traction on the soil
- Rugged trail running shoes is estimated to witness strong growth over the forecast period, owing to high demand by the runners who prefer running on hiking trails
- Offline distribution channel accounts for the majority of market share in terms of product sales, owing to the availability of the right fit and cushioning and help to understand the mechanism of shoes’ functionality
- Some of the key players operating in the global trail running shoes market include VF Corporation; New Balance Athletics, Inc.; Wolverine World Wide Inc.; Brooks Sports, Inc.; Adidas AG; Nike Inc.; Skechers U.S.A, Inc.; Asics Group; Deckers Outdoor Corporation; and Amer Sports
Trail Running Shoes Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global trail running shoes market on the basis of type, distribution channel, and region:
Trail Running Shoes Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2015 - 2025)
- Light Trail Running Shoes
- Rugged Trail Running Shoes
- Off Trail Running Shoes
Trail Running Shoes Distribution Channel Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2015 - 2025)
Trail Running Shoes Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2015 - 2025)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America (CSA)
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.