Ecotoxicological Studies Market Growth & Trends
The global ecotoxicological studies market size is expected to reach USD 1.3 billion by 2027, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 3.6% from 2021 to 2027. Ecotoxicological studies are conducted to estimate the effects of toxic substances on an ecosystem and are based on scientific research by both laboratory and field methods. The growth of the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical industries is likely to drive the market. Stringent regulatory requirements and favorable government support are further contributing to market growth. Most regulatory authorities require ecotoxicity testing using various organisms. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends specific tests, organisms, and toxicity endpoints to calculate the risk from Plant Protection Products (PPPs), such as pesticides, and has developed guidelines for ecological risk assessments to assess the likelihood of plant and wildlife toxicity as well as environmental fate.
The increasing number of chemicals such as synthetic hormones and pharmaceuticals are used on a daily basis all over the world. In Europe, approximately 100,000 chemicals are currently used during the manufacturing of drugs. With the exception of pesticides that are released into the environment purposely, many chemicals enter the environment due to their use through different paths. Hence, to assess risks from chemicals to the ecosystem, toxicity data on chemicals is required.
Ecotoxicological studies are conducted and reported as per the globally validated standard test guiding principles and Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs). For instance, GPLs provided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) are required by many regulatory frameworks for environmental or ecological hazard and risk assessment of chemicals. There are various documents that include requirements of environmental safety, such as the Biocidal Product Directive (BPR), OSPAR, and European REACH regulation.
Request a free sample copy or view report summary: Ecotoxicological Studies Market Report
Ecotoxicological Studies Market Report Highlights
- Based on service, the aquatic ecotoxicology segment dominated the market with a share of 43.6% in 2020 as major regulatory bodies across the globe mandate evidence of the potential hazard of drugs to aquatic organisms and ecosystems
- The sediment ecotoxicology service segment is expected to expand at the highest CAGR of 3.9% over the forecast period as sediment ecotoxicology studies are conducted on a large scale by pharmaceutical companies. Sediments can adsorb persistent pollutants and thereby act as a long-term source of pollution for surface water
- Europe dominated the market in 2020 with a share of 34.0% due to the favorable government support and the presence of various regulatory bodies, such as the European Chemical Agency (ECHA); Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH); and the European Centre for Ecotoxicology and Toxicology of Chemicals (ECETOC) Polymers Task Force
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to register the highest CAGR over the forecast period owing to the improved regulatory frameworks, the high scope for cost savings, and growing industrialization leading to the establishment of pharmaceutical companies in the region
Ecotoxicological Studies Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global ecotoxicological studies market based on service and region:
Ecotoxicological Studies Service Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 - 2027)
- Aquatic Ecotoxicology
- Sediment Ecotoxicology
- Terrestrial Ecotoxicology
- Avian Ecotoxicology
- Pollinator Testing
Ecotoxicological Studies Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 - 2027)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
List of Key Players of Ecotoxicological Studies Market
- SGS SA
- Covance, Inc.
- INTOX Pvt. Ltd.
- Fera Science Limited
- Charles River Laboratories
- Noack Laboratorien GmbH
- Eurofins Agroscience Services Group
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.