The benefits of learning English between 4 and 6 years old are many: they improve their memory, they have a richer vocabulary, they have more flexibility of thought and better ability to reason. Preschool-age children can be bilingual naturally and with little effort with adequate resources, a feat that greatly contributes to their comprehensive development. Start giving them Collective noun examples.
"Becoming bilingual brings cognitive benefits," so learning English as a second language favors young people.
"These cognitive advantages can contribute to a child's future academic success."
How can preschool children learn English?
There are several learning milestones associated with learning English in childhood. With each year of age, children work and develop various skills that can be put into practice through punctual exercises and activities.
To choose the best English options for children, it is ideal to know the milestones of learning English at 4, 5 and 6 years old .
English for 4-year-olds
From the age of 4 and up, the language of a child advances with great strides. Your little one will probably be using more complex sentences and grammatical structures (although not necessarily correct, however, making consonantblends is part of the process).
It will also more successfully identify various objects in English, increasing vocabulary. Likewise, at this age your little one will probably be able to:
- Enjoy more using children's books and audiobooks in English, since they are entering the pre-reading stage and can handle them more easily. They can hold books, turn the page, and identify more words and describe the pictures.
- Identify more sounds of letters and words in English. They can even recognize rhymes while singing children's English songs.
- Differentiate your native language from English when speaking.
- Improve your vocabulary by adding new words about objects. You can start talking about their uses.
- Scribble strokes similar to the letters of kindergarten sight words worksheets.
- Identify simple questions in English, especially those that refer to their daily activities.
- Understand quantities and also the concept of simple place prepositions such as « next to », « behind » or « between ».
- Ask simple yes or no questions in English using the verb «to be».
English for children 5 years old
For a little one, the difference between being 4 and 5 years old is enormous. Likewise, the difference between what they learn at these ages varies substantially. At this age your toddler will probably be able to:
- Use more descriptive language when asking questions, providing information, or giving detailed answers or explanations in English.
- Recognize the initial sound of some Long vowel worksheets and count the syllables in simple words. These skills are crucial to spell and start reading.
- Understand the use of pronouns in English and use them more efficiently. - Know and use object plurals in English.
- Learn the use of the simple past and the present continuous in English, making use of the endings -ed and -ing , even if they are not used correctly on some occasions.
- use articles the and a more clearly.